Abstract: The objective of this study is to examine to what extent that gender serves as moderating variable in the context of consumer-based brand equity model. A total of 525 data was collected through non-probability sampling. Independent t-test was firstly employed. The invariance test was subsequently conducted to make certain whether the components of structural model is remained equivalent across two gender groups. The result indicated the baseline model was typically invariant across gender, except for the causal relationships between brand awareness and brand image, thus indicates gender serves as a moderating variable partially. Males have evaluated lower mean scores as compared to females, but higher value of causal effects in male model. The higher mean scores could be reasonably referred to greater sense towards brands; yet it does not indicate greater value of causal effects. Brand managers have to employ a diverse set of brand awareness strategies across gender for the purpose of enhancing their brand image. They should assign greater efforts of brand exposure programs among female community. However, similar set of branding strategy for perceived quality, brand image and brand loyalty can be implemented as there are invariant across gender.
Authors: Teck Ming Tan, Su-Mae Tan, William Lee, Michelle Bee Fang Ong, Tze Wei Liew
Source: International Journal of Research in Management
Tan, T. M., Tan, S.-M., William, L., Michelle, O. S. F. & Liew, T. W. (2012). Does brand equity model vary between female and male? Result of an empirical investigation. International Journal of Research in Management, Vol. 2 No. 3, pp. 1-15
Full-text Article: Does gender contribute moderating effect in brand equity model_F
- Aaker, D.A. (1991) Managing brand equity. Free Press, New York.
- Aaker, D.A. (1996) Measuring brand equity across products and markets. Free Press, New York.
- Anderson, J.C. and Gerbing, D.W. (1988) Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommend two-step approach. Psychological Bulletin 103: 411-423.
- Andreas H.Z. (2001) Relative attitudes and commitment in customer loyalty models: some experiences in the commercial airline industry. International Journal of Service Industry Management 12(3): 269-294.
- Andrew G.P. (2002) Brand choice in gift-giving: Recipient influence. Journal of Product and Brand Management 11(4): 237-249.
- Angel, F.V.-R. and Manuel, J.S.-F. (2005) The impact of marketing communication and price promotion on brand equity. The Journal of Brand Management 12(6): 431-444.
- Aronson, E., Ellsworth, P.C., Carismith, J.M. and Gonzales, M.H. (1990), Methods of research in social psychology, 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Aziz, N.A. and Yasin, N.M. (2010) Analyzing the brand equity and resonance of banking services: Malaysian consumer perspective. International Journal of Marketing Studies 2(2): 180-189.
- Bamert, T. and Wehrli, H.P. (2005) Service quality as an important dimension of brand equity in Swiss services industries. Managing Service Quality 15(2): 132-141.
- Bendall-Lyon, D. and L. Powers, T.L. (2002) The impact of gender differences on change in satisfaction over time. Journal of Consumer Marketing 19 (1): 12-21.
- Bloch, P.H. and Richins, M.L. (1983) A Theoretical Model for the Study or Product Importance Perceptions. Journal of Marketing 47(3): 69.
- Bullmore, J. (1984) The brand and its image revisited. International Journal of Advertising 1(3): 235-238.
- Byrne, B.M. (2010), Structural equation modeling with AMOS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming, Second Edition, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc Mahwah, New Jersey.
- Chiou, J.S., Droge, C. and Hanvanich, S. (2002) Does customer knowledge affect how loyalty is formed? Journal of Services Research 5(2): 113-25.
- Choi, B., Lee, C., Lee, H., and Subramani, M. (2004) Effects of web retail service quality and product categories on consumer behavior: A research model and empirical exploration. in proceedings of the 37th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS ’04), January 2004.
- Cobb-Walgren, C.J., Beal, C., and Donthu, N. (1995) Brand equity, brand preferences, and purchase intent. Journal of Advertising 24(3): 25-40.
- Cronin, J.J. and Taylor, S.A. (1992) Measuring service quality: A reexamination and extension. Journal of Marketing 56(3): 55-68.
- Cuneen, J. and Claussen, C. (1999) Gender portrayals in sports-product point-of-purchase advertising. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal 8(2).
- Darley, W.K. and Smith, R.E. (1995) Gender differences in information processing strategies: An empirical test of the selectivity model in advertising response. Journal of Advertising 24(1): 41-56.
- Desmond, C.S.L. and Alvin, Y.C.L. (2005) The influence of cultural values on brand loyalty. in Consumer Behaviour in 2005 proceedings of the ANZMAC.
- Dobni, D. and Zinkhan, G.M. (1990) In search of brand image: A foundation analysis. Advances in Consumer Research 17(1): 110-119.
- Dodds, W.B., Monroe, K.B., and Grewal, D. (1991) Effects of price, brand, and store information on buyers’ product evaluations. Journal of Marketing Research 28(3): 307-319.
- Eagly, A.H., and Carli, L. (1981) Sex of researchers and sex-typed communications as determinants of sex differences on influenceability: A meta-analysis of social influence studies. Psychological Bulletin 90(1): 1-20.
- Everhart, D.E., Shucard, J.L., Quatrin, T., and Shucard, D.W. (2001) Sex-related differences in event-related potentials, face recognition, and facial affect processing in prepubertal children. Neuropsychology 15(3): 329–341.
- Fisher, R. and Dubé, L. (2005) Gender Differences in Responses to Emotional Advertising: A Social Desirability Perspective. Journal of Consumer Research 31 (March): 850-58.
- Fornell, C. and Larcker, D. (1981) Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research 18(1): 39-50.
- Gardner, B.B. and Levy, S.J. (1955) The product and the brand. Harvard Business Review 33 (March/April): 33-39.
- Gil, R.B., Andrés, E.F. and Salinas, E.M. (2007) Family as a source of consumer-based brand equity. Journal of Product and Brand Management 16(3): 188-199.
- Gocek, I., Kursun, S. and Beceren, I. (2007) The perception of customer satisfaction in the textile industry according to gender in Turkey. in proceeding of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 24: 79-82.
- Grewal, D., Krishnan, R., Baker, J., and Borin, N. (1998) The effect of store name, brand name, and price discounts on consumer’s evaluations and purchase intentions. Journal of Retailing 74(3): 331-352.
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J. and Anderson, R.E. (2010), Multivariate data analysis: A global perspective, Seventh Edition, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Handlin, A. (2007) Gender opportunities to enhance direct-to-consumer advertising of gender-neutral pharmaceutical brands: Factors arising from information processing, message content and demographic change. The Business Review Cambridge 7(1): 33-37.
- Hass, A. (1979) Male and female spoken language differences; Stereotypes and evidence. Psychological Bulletin 86: 616–626.
- Heding, T., Knudtzen, C.F. and Bjerre, M. (2009), Brand management: Research, theory and practice, Routledge, New York.
- Henry, T., Catherine, C. and Ada, L. (2010) An exploratory study of the relationship between customer-based casino brand equity and ﬁrm performance. International Journal of Hospitality Management 29: 754-757.
- Holbrook, M.B. (1986) Aims, concepts, and methods for the presentation of individual differences to design features. Journal of Consumer Research 13: 337-347.
- Homburg, C. and Giering, A. (2001) Personal characteristics as moderators of the relationship between customer satisfaction and loyalty. Psychology and Marketing 18(1): 43-66.
- Hoyer, W.D. and Brown, S.P. (1990) Effects of brand awareness on choice for a common, repeat-purchase product. Journal of Consumer Research 17(2): 141-8.
- Hyllegard, K., Eckman, M., Descals, A.M. and Borja, M.A.G. (2005) Spanish consumers’ perception of US apparel specialty retails’ product and services. Journal of Consumer Behaviour 4(5): 345-362.
- Indexmundi (2011) Malaysia sex ratio. available at: http://www.indexmundi.com/malaysia/sex_ratio.html (accessed 23 March 2011)
- Kandampully, J. and Hu, H. (2007) Do hoteliers need to manage image to retain loyal customer? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 19(6): 435-443.
- Keller, K.L. (1993) Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing 57(1): 1-22.
- Keller, K.L. (1998), Strategic brand management: Building, measuring, and managing brand equity, Prentice Hall, NJ.
- Keller, K.L. (2003) Brand synthesis: The multidimensionality of brand knowledge. Journal of Consumer Research 29(4): 595-600.
- Kim, D.-Y., Lehto, X.Y., Morrison, A.M. (2007) Gender differences in online travel information search: Implications for marketing communications on the internet. Tourism Management 28: 423-433.
- Kim, H. and Kim, W.G. (2005) The relationship between brand equity and firms’ performance in luxury hotels and chain restaurants. Tourism Management 26: 549-560.
- Lockshin, L. and Spawton, T. (2001) Using involvement and brand equity to develop a wine tourism strategy. International Journal of Wine Marketing 13(1): 72-82.
- Malai, V. and Speece, M. (2010) Perceived customer value relationships and cultural impacts on its. available at: http://smib.vuw.ac.nz:8081/WWW/ANZMAC2004/CDsite/papers/Malai1.PDF (accessed 18 January 2011)
- Melnyk, V., Van Osselaer, S.M.J. and Bijmolt, T.H.A. (2009) Are women more loyal customers than men? Gender differences in loyalty to firms and individual service providers. Journal of Marketing 73(4): 82-96.
- Meyers-Levy, J. (1988) The influence of sex roles on judgment. Journal of Consumer Research 14 (March): 522–30.
- Meyers-Levy, J. (1989) Gender differences in information processing: A selectivity interpretation. in Patricia C. and Alice M. T. (Ed.), Cognitive and affective responses to advertising, Lexington Press, Lexington, MA: 219-260.
- Meyers-Levy, J. and Maheswaran D. (1991) Exploring differences in males’ and females’ processing strategies. Journal of Consumer Research 18(1): 63-70.
- Mittal, V. and Kamakura, W. (2001) Satisfaction, repurchase intent, and repurchase behavior: Investigating the moderating effects of customer characteristics. Journal of Marketing Research 38(1): 131-142.
- Moutinho, L. and Goode, M. (1995), Gender effects to the formation of overall product satisfaction: A multivariate approach. Journal of International Consumer Marketing 8(1): 71-91.
- Neal, W.D. and Bathe, S. (1997) Using the value equation to evaluate campaign effectiveness. Journal of Advertising Research 37(3): 80-85.
- Nunnally, J.C. (1978), Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- O’Cass, A., and Clarke, P. (2001) Dear Santa, do you have my brand? A study of the brand request styles at Christmas time. Journal of Consumer Behaviour 2(1): 37-53.
- Olorunniwo, F., Hsu, M.K. and Udo, G.J. (2006) Service quality, customer satisfaction, and behavioral intentions in the service factory. Journal of Services Marketing 20(1): 59-72.
- Oyewole, P. (2007) Fast food marketing and the African American consumers: The impact of socio-economic and demographic characteristic. Journal of International Consumer Marketing 19(4): 75-108.
- Park, C.W., Jaworski, B.J. and MacInnis, D.J. (1986) Strategic brand concept-image management. Journal of Marketing 50: 135-145.
- Pike, S., Bianchi, C., Kerr, G. and Patti, C. (2010) Consumer-based brand equity for Australia as a long-haul tourism destination in an emerging market. International Marketing Review 27(4): 434-449.
- Putrevu, S. (2001) Exploring the origins and information processing differences between men and women: Implications for advertisers. Academy of Marketing Science Review, Vol 10, available at: http://www.amsreview.org/articles/putrevu10-2001.pdf (accessed 20 October 2011)
- Qin, H., Victor R. Prybutok and Zhao, Q. (2010) Perceived service quality in fast-food restaurants: empirical evidence from China. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management 27(4): 424-437.
- Radder, L. and Huang W. (2008) High-involvement and low-involvement products: A comparison of brand awareness among students at a South African university. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management 12(2): 232-243.
- Roberts, J., Morrison, P., Chandrashekaran, M. and Gordon, A. (2004) Measuring sources and outcomes of brand equity. in proceedings of the Communication in Australian and New Zealand Marketing Conference.
- Rosa, R.E. and Riquelme, H.E. (2008) Brand equity for online companies. Marketing Intelligence and Planning 26(7): 719-742.
- Rosenthal, R., and DePaulo, B.M. (1979), Skill in nonverbal communication, Oelgeschlager, Gunn and Hain, Cambridge, MA.
- Seock, Y.-K. and Bailey L.R. (2008) The influence of college students’ shopping orientation and gender differences on online information searches and purchase behaviours. International Journal of Consumer Studies 32(2): 113-121.
- Swait, J., Erdem, T., Louviere, J. and Dubelaar, C. (1993) The equalization price: A measure of consumer-perceived brand equity. International Journal of Research in Marketing 10(1): 23-45.
- Tan, T. M., Hishamuddin I. and Devinaga, R. (2011) Hierarchical chain of consumer-based brand equity: Review from the fast food industry. International Business and Economics Research Journal 10(9): 67-80.
- Tong, X. and Hawley, J.M. (2009) Measuring customer-based brand equity: Empirical evidence from the sportswear market in China. Journal of Product and Brand Management 18(4): 262-271.
- U.S. State Department (2010) Background note: Malaysia. available at: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2777.htm (accessed 23 March 2011)
- Xu, J.B. and Andrew, C. (2009) A conceptual framework of hotel experience and customer-based brand equity. Some research questions and implications. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 22(2): 174-193.
- Yasin, N.M., Noor, M.N. and Mohamad, O. (2007) Does image of country-of-origin matter to brand equity?. Journal of Product and Brand Management 6(1): 38-48.
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N. and Lee, S. (2000) An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. Academy of Marketing Science 28(2): 195-212.