Abstract: Most Malaysian research defines the brand equity dimensions. This paper addresses this gap by developing an empirical research model with better understanding of sequential relationships between the dimensions of brand equity within the Malaysian fast food context. A total of 585 self-administrated questionnaires were distributed via non-probability sampling across five fast food restaurants. The results indicate perceived quality (PQ) and brand awareness (BA) are the initial stage of brand building. Brand familiarity, brand image, and brand trust serve as important role in enlightening the relationships between PQ, BA, and attitudinal brand loyalty (ABL). ABL plays as a key variable for explicating the relationships between other dimensions and overall brand equity. Future research could explore the possibility of a longitudinal study through repeated observations, and invariance test across different samples could be conducted to make certain the components of measurement model and structural model are remained equivalent.
Authors: Teck Ming Tan, Ismail Hishamuddin & Rasiah Devinaga
Source: Journal of Developing Area
Tan, T. M., Hishamuddin, I. and Devinaga, R. (2015) “Malaysian Fast Food Brand Equity,” Journal of Developing Area, 49 (5), pp. 53-65.
Full-text Article: Malaysian Fast Food Brand Equity
- Aaker, D.A., Managing brand equity, 1991, New York: Free Press.
- Agarwal, M.K. and Rao, V., “An empirical comparison of consumer based measures of brand equity”, Marketing Letters, 1996, Vol. 7, pp.237-247.
- Aseambankers, Equity Focus-KFC Holdings (M) Berhad, 2007, Available: http://www.maybank2e.net/economic_library/equity_focus_11Jan07%28KFC%20Initiating%29.pdf
- Buil, I., de Chernatony L. and Martínez E., “Examining the role of advertising and sales promotions in brand equity creation”, Journal of Business Research, 2013, Vol. 66, pp.115-122.
- Campbell, M.C. and Keller, K.L., “Brand familiarity and advertising repetition effects”, Journal of Consumer Research, 2003, Vol. 30, pp.292-304.
- Chang, P.-L. and Chieng, M.-H., “Building consumer–brand relationship: A cross-cultural experiential view”, Psychology and Marketing, 2006, Vol. 23, pp.927-956.
- Chiou, J.S. and Droge, C., “Service quality, trust, specific asset investment, and expertise: Direct and indirect effects in a satisfaction-loyalty framework”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2006, Vol. 34, pp.613-627.
- Chowdhury, J., Reardon, J. and Srivastava, R., “Alternative modes of measuring store image: An empirical assessment of structured versus unstructured measures”, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 1998, Vol. 6, pp.72-86.
- Christodoulides, G. and de Chernatony, L., “Consumer-based brand equity conceptualization and measurement”, International Journal of Market Research, 2010, Vol. 52, pp.43-66.
- D’Souza, G. and Rao, R.C., “Can repeating an advertisement more frequently than the competition affect brand preference in a mature market”, Journal of Marketing, 1995, Vol. 59, pp.32-47.
- Das, G., “Linkages of retailer awareness, retailer association, retailer perceived quality and retailer loyalty with purchase intention: a study of Indian food retail brands”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 2014, Vol. 21, pp. 284-292.
- Dabholkar, P., “A contingency framework for predicting causality between customer satisfaction and service quality”, Advances in Consumer Research, 1995, Vol. 22, pp.101-106.
- Datamonitor, Industry profile: Global fast food, 2010, Available: http://www.scribd.com/doc/55793662/Data-Monitor-Fast-Food.
- Delgado-Ballester, E. and Munuera-Aleman, J.L., “Does brand trust matter to brand equity”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2005, Vol. 14, pp.187-196.
- Esch, F.-R., Langner, T., Schmitt, B.H. and Geus, P., “Are brands forever? How brand knowledge and relationships affect current and future purchases”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2006, Vol. 15, pp.98-105.
- Euromonitor, Malaysian Fast Food Brand Shares (by Global Brand Name), 2013, Available: http://www.portal.euromonitor.com/portal/statistics/tab.
- Flavián, C., Guinalíu, M. and Gurrea, R., “The role played by perceived usability, satisfaction and consumer trust on website loyalty”, Information and Management, 2006, Vol. 43, pp.1-14.
- Fullerton, G., “The impact of brand commitment on loyalty to retail service brands’, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 2005, Vol. 22, pp.97-110.
- Gil, R.B., Andrés, E.F. and Salinas E.M., “Family as a source of consumer-based brand equity”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2007, Vol. 16, pp.188-199.
- Gursoy, D. and McCleary, K.W., “Travelers’ prior knowledge and its impact on their information search behavior”, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 2004, Vol. 28, pp.66-94.
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B. J. and Anderson, R.E., Multivariate data analysis: A global perspective (7th Ed.), 2010, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Harris, F. and de Chernatony, L., “Corporate branding and corporate brand performance”, European Journal of Marketing, 2001, Vol. 35, pp.441-456.
- Harris, L. and Goode, M., “The four level of loyalty and the pivotal role of trust: a study of online services dynamic”, Journal of Retailing, 2004, Vol. 80, pp.139-58.
- Hee, C.C., Profiling consumers based on their shopping behavior, 2009, Unpublished Degree of Master thesis, University of Malaya, Malaysia.
- Hess, J., Story, J. and Danes, J., “A three-stage model of consumer relationship investment”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2011, Vol. 20, pp.14-26.
- Huang, R. and Sarigollu E., “How brand awareness relates to market outcome, brand equity, and the marketing mix”, Journal of Business Research, 2012, Vol. 65, pp.92-99.
- Kandampully, J. and Hu, H., “Do hoteliers need to manage image to retain loyal customer”, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 2007, Vol. 19, pp.435-443.
- Keller, K.L., “Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity”, Journal of Marketing, 1993, Vol. 57, pp.1-22.
- Keller, K.L., Building, measuring and managing brand equity (2nd ed.), 2003, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Kim, H.B. and Kim, W.G., “The relationship between brand equity and firms’ performance in luxury hotels and chain restaurants”, Tourism Management, 2005, Vol. 26, pp.549-560.
- Lee, Y.K., Park, K.H., Park, D.H., Lee, K.A. and Kwon, Y.J., “The relative impact of service quality on service value, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty in Korean family restaurant context”, International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration, 2005, Vol. 6, pp.27-51.
- Lindlof, T.R. and Taylor, B.C., Qualitative communication research methods (2nd ed.), 2002, Sage.
- Low, G.S. and Lamb Jr., C.W., “The measurement and dimensionality of brand associations”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2000, Vol. 9, pp.350-368.
- Malär, M., Krohmer, H., Hoyer, W.D. and Nyffenegger, B., “Emotional brand attachment and brand personality: The relative importance of the actual and the ideal self”, Journal of Marketing, 2011, Vol. 75, pp.35-52.
- Marshall Cavendish, Food industry in Malaysia: An overview Malaysia Food Business Directory, 2009, Available: www.foodbizmalaysia.com/IndProf%5CMFBD%5CMFBD_2009_IP01.pdf
- Matzler, K., Grabner-Krauter, S. and Bidmon, S., “Risk aversion and brand loyalty: the mediating role of brand trust and brand affect”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2008, Vol. 17, pp.154-162.
- Norjaya Mohd Yasin, Mohd Nasser Noor and Osman Mohamad, “Does image of country-of-origin matter to brand equity”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2007, Vol. 16, pp.38-48.
- Norzalita Abd Aziz and Norjaya Mohd Yasin, “Analyzing the brand equity and resonance of banking services: Malaysian consumer perspective”, International Journal of Marketing Studies, 2010, Vol. 2, pp.180-189.
- Nunnally, J.C., Psychometric Theory, 1978, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- O’Loughlin, S., “Net worth”, Brandweek, 2006, Vol. 47, pp.22-28.
- Park, S.-H., The antecedents and consequences of brand image: Based on Keller’s customer-based brand equity, 2009, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Columbus, US.
- Patwardhan, H. and Balasubramanian, S.L., “Brand romance: A complementary approach to explain emotional attachment toward brands”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2011, Vol. 20, pp.297-308.
- Pemandu (Performance Management & Delivery Unit), Economic Transformation Programme: A roadmap for Malaysia, Chapter 8: Building a More Dynamic Retail Market, 2010, Available: http://etp.pemandu.gov.my/upload/etp_handbook_chapter_8_wholesale_and_retail.pdf.
- Perez, M,E., Padgett, D. and Burgers, W., “Intergenerational influence on brand preferences”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2011, Vol. 20, pp.5-13.
- Rauyruen, P. and Miller, K., “Relationship quality as a predictor of B2B customer loyalty”, Journal of Business Research, 2007, Vol. 60, pp.21-31.
- Roberts, J., Morrison, P., Chandrashekaran, M. and Gordon, A., “Measuring sources and outcomes of brand equity”, Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Marketing Conference, 2004, New Zealand.
- Sanyal, S.N. and Datta, S.K., “The effect of country of origin on brand equity: An empirical study on generic drugs”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2011, Vol. 20, pp.130-140.
- Schlosser, E., Fast food nation: The bitter truth about fast food, 2002, Available: www.spiritouch.com/en/pdfs/FastFoodNation.pdf.
- Sichtmann, C., “An analysis of antecedents and consequences of trust in a corporate brand”, European Journal of Marketing, 2007, Vol. 41, pp.999-1015.
- Tan, T.M., Hishamuddin I. and Devinaga, R., “Hierarchical chain of consumer-based brand equity: Review from the fast food industry”, International Business and Economics Research Journal, 2011, Vol. 10, pp.67-80.
- Tan, T.M., Liew, T.W., William L., Michelle, O.S.F. and Tan, S.-M., “Consumer-based Brand Equity in the Service Shop”, International Journal of Marketing Studies, 2012, Vol. 4, pp.60-77.
- Tong, X. and Hawley, J.M., “Measuring customer-based brand equity: Empirical evidence from the sportswear market in China’, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2009, Vol. 18, pp.262-271.
- Van Zyl, M.K., Steyn, N.P. and Marais, M.L., “Characteristics and factors influencing fast food intake of young adult consumers in Johannesburg, South Africa”, South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2010, Vol. 23, pp.124-130.
- Wang, H.Z., Wei, Y.J. and Yu, C.L., “Global brand equity model: Combining customer-based with product-market outcome approaches”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 2008, Vol. 17, pp.305-316.
- Xu, J.B. and Andrew C., “A conceptual framework of hotel experience and customer-based brand equity. Some research questions and implications’, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 2009, Vol. 22, pp.174-193.
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N. and Lee, S., “An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity”, Academy of Marketing Science, 2000, Vol. 28, pp.195-212.
- Zajonc, R.B. and Markus, H., “Affective and cognitive factors in preferences”, Journal of Consumer Research, 1982, Vol. 9, pp.123-131.