Abstract: This study reflects on the need to examine the challenges of brand equity creation among local fast food brands in Malaysia. There was a need to observe brand awareness which contributes greater variance on brand trust, attitudinal brand loyalty, and overall brand equity than perceived quality across global and local brands. The main purpose of this study was to provide a better management for branding strategy and brand tracking; highlighting the natural drawbacks on focusing the perception of brand quality that have been exercised by many local fast food brands. The result of this study reveals that the dimensions of consumer-based brands equity could be reasonably related to category specific.
Authors: Teck Ming Tan, Devinaga Rasiah & Ismail Hishamuddin
Source: International Journal of Business and Management
Tan, T. M., Devinaga, R. & Hishamuddin, I. (2013). The Common Challenges of Brand Equity Creation Among Local Fast Food Brands in Malaysia. International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 8 No. 2, pp. 96-106
Full-text Article: The Common Challenges of Brand Equity Creation among Local Fast Food Brands in Malaysia_F
- Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing brand equity. New York: Free Press.
- Aaker, D. A. (1996). Measuring brand equity across products and markets. New York: Free Press.
- Aaker, J. L. (1997). Dimensions of brand personality. Journal of Marketing Research, 34, 347-356. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3151897
- Anderson, E., & Weitz, B. (1989). The use of pledges to build and sustain commitment in distribution channels. Journal of Marketing Research, 29(1), 18-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3172490
- Aseambankers (2007). Equity Focus-KFC Holdings (M) Berhad. Retrieved from http://www.maybank2e.net/economic_library/equity_focus_11Jan07%28KFC%20Initiating%29.pdf
- Ashkanasy, N. M., & Nicholson, G. J. (2003). Climate of fear in organisational settings: Construct definition, measurement and a test of theory. Australian Journal of Psychology, 55(1), 24-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00049530412331312834
- Auty, R. (2001). Being like or being liked: identity vs. approval in a social context. Advances in Consumer Research, 28, 235-241.
- Back, K. J. (2005). The effects of image congruence on customers’ brand loyalty in the upper middle-class hotel industry. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 29(4), 448-467. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1096348005276497
- Baldauf, A., Cravens, K. S., & Binder, G. (2003). Performance consequences of brand equity management: Evidence from organizations in the value chain. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 12(4), 220-236. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420310485032
- Block, J. P., Scribner, R. A., & DeSalvo, K. B. (2004). Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: A geographic analysis. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 27(3), 211-217.
- Bloemer, J. M. M., & Kasper, H. D. P. (1995). The complex relationship between consumer satisfaction and brand loyalty. Journal of Economic Psychology, 16(2), 311-329. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(95)00007-B
- Brand Equity. (2011). Malaysian shoppers are the 2nd most prolific, 3, 22-23.
- Buil, I., De Chernatony, L., & Martínez, E. (2008). A cross-national validation of the consumer-based brand equity scale. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 17(6), 384-392. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420810904121
- Burdette, H. L., & Whitaker, R. C. (2004). Neighborhood playgrounds, fast food restaurants, and crime: relationships to overweight in low-income preschool children. Preventive Medicine, 38(1), 57-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.09.029
- Caruana, A. (2002). Service loyalty: The effects of service quality and the mediating role of customer satisfaction. European Journal of Marketing, 36(6/7), 811-828. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090560210430818
- Chaudhuri, A., & Holbrook, M. B. (2001). The chain of effects from brand trust and brand affect to brand performance: the role of brand loyalty. Journal of Marketing, 65(April), 81-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.16855
- Chiou, J. S., & Droge, C. (2006). Service quality, trust, specific asset investment, and expertise: Direct and indirect effects in a satisfaction-loyalty framework. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 34(4), 613-627. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0092070306286934
- Chiou, J. S., Droge, C., & Hanvanich, S. (2002). Does customer knowledge affect how loyalty is formed? Journal of Services Research, 5(2), 113-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/109467002237494
- Cobb-Walgren, C. J., Beal, C., & Donthu, N. (1995). Brand equity, brand preferences, and purchase intent. Journal of Advertising, 24(3), 25-40.
- Dabholkar, P. (1995). A contingency framework for predicting causality between customer satisfaction and service quality. Advances in Consumer Research, 22, 101-106.
- Dacin, P. A., & Smith, D. C. (1994). The effect of brand portfolio characteristics on consumer evaluations of brand extensions. Journal of Marketing Research, 31(2), 229-242. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3152196
- Donovan, R. J., Rossiter, J. R., Marcoolyn, G., & Nesdale, A. (1994). Store atmosphere and purchasing behavior. Journal of Retailing, 70(3), 283-294. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(94)90037-X
- Erdem, T., & Swait, J. (1998). Brand equity as a signaling phenomenon. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 7(2), 131-157. http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp0702_02
- Esch, F.-R., Langner, T., Schmitt, B. H., & Geus, P. (2006). Are brands forever? How brand knowledge and relationships affect current and future purchases. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 15(2), 98-105. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420610658938
- Flavián, C., Guinalíu, M., & Gurrea, R. (2006). The role played by perceived usability, satisfaction and consumer trust on website loyalty. Information and Management, 43(1), 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2005.01.002
- Gil, R. B., Andrés, E. F., & Salinas E. M. (2007). Family as a source of consumer-based brand equity. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 16(3), 188-199. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420710751564
- Hafidz, M. M., Daljit D., & Eugene, M. (2010). Hey, big ad spenders! Retrieved from http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?sec=business&file=/2010/12/11/business/7571720
- Halim, W. Z., & Hamed, A. B. (2005). Consumer purchase intention at traditional restaurant and fast food restaurant. Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference, Australia, 107-112.
- Henry, T., Catherine, C., & Ada, L. (2010). An exploratory study of the relationship between customer-based casino brand equity and ﬁrm performance. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 29, 754-757.
- Kam, R. (2008). Demand still strong for 1901 franchise. Retrieved from http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/9/15/business/2016675&sec=business
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252054
- Keller, K. L. (1998). Strategic brand management: Building, measuring, and managing brand equity. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Keller, K. L. (2003). Building, measuring and managing brand equity (2nd ed.). Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Kim, H. B., & Kim, W. G. (2005). The relationship between brand equity and firms’ performance in luxury hotels and chain restaurants. Tourism Management, 26, 549-560. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2004.03.010
- Kim, W. G., & Kim, H. B. (2004). Measuring customer-based restaurant brand equity: Investigating the relationship between brand equity and firms’ performance. Cornell Hotel & Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 45(2), 115-131. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0010880404264507
- Lane, V. L. (2000). The impact of ad repetition and ad content on consumer perceptions of incongruent extensions. Journal of Marketing, 64, 80-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.12496
- Lassar, W., Mittal, B., & Sharma, A. (1995). Measuring customer-based brand equity. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 12(4), 11-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/07363769510095270
- Loken, B., & Roedder J. D. (1993). Diluting brand beliefs: When do brand extensions have a negative impact? Journal of Marketing, 57(3), 71-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251855
- Marshall Cavendish. (2009). Food industry in Malaysia: An overview. Retrieved from www.foodbizmalaysia.com/IndProf%5CMFBD%5CMFBD_2009_IP01.pdf
- Matzler, K., Grabner-Krauter, S., & Bidmon, S. (2008). Risk aversion and brand loyalty: The mediating role of brand trust and brand affect. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 17(3), 154-162. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420810875070
- Michell, P., King, J., & Reast, J. B. (2001). Values related to industrial products. Industrial Marketing Management, 30, 415-425. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(99)00097-8
- Milgrom, P., & Roberts, J. (1986). Price and advertising signals of product quality. Journal of Political Economy, 55(August), 10-25.
- Morgan, R. M., & Hunt, S. D. (1994). The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing. Journal of Marketing, 58(3), 20-38. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252308
- Narayandas, N. (1996). The link between customer satisfaction and customer loyalty: An empirical investigation. Working paper of Harvard Business School.
- Norzalita Abd A., & Norjaya Mohd Y. (2010). Analyzing the brand equity and resonance of banking services: Malaysian consumer perspective. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 2(2), 180-189.
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978). Psychometric Theory. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Pallant, J. (2005). SPSS Survival Manual (2nd ed.). McGrawhill, Open University Press.
- Park, S. H. (2009). The antecedents and consequences of brand image: Based on Keller’s customer-based brand equity. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Columbus, US.
- Perez, M, E., Padgett, D., & Burgers, W. (2011). Intergenerational influence on brand preferences. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 20(1), 5-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610421111107978
- Rauyruen, P., & Miller, K. (2007). Relationship quality as a predictor of B2B customer loyalty. Journal of Business Research, 60(1), 21-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.11.006
- Rowley, J. (2005). The four Cs of customer loyalty. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 23(6), 574-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02634500510624138
- Russell-Bennett, R., McColl-Kennedy, J. R., & Coote, L. V. (2007). Involvement, satisfaction, and brand loyalty in a small business services setting. Journal of Business Research, 60(12), 1253-1260. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.05.001
- Sichtmann, C. (2007). An analysis of antecedents and consequences of trust in a corporate brand. European Journal of Marketing, 41(9-10), 999-1015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090560710773318
- Slattery, M. L., Boucher, K. M., Caan, B. J., Potter, J. D., & Ma, K. N. (1998). Eating patterns and risk of colon cancer. American Journal of Epidemiology, 148(1), 4-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/148.1.4-a
- Sujan, M., & Dekleva, C. (1987). Product categorization and inference making: Some implications for comparative advertising. Journal of Consumer Research, 14(3), 372-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/209120
- Tan, T. M. (2012). Facebook fans counts: Malaysian fast food brands. Retrieved from http://www.brandattachment.com/marketing_concepts/Facebook_Fans_Counts_Malaysian_Fast_Food_Brands
- Tan, T. M., Hishamuddin I., & Devinaga, R. (2011). Hierarchical chain of consumer-based brand equity: Review from the fast food industry. International Business & Economics Research Journal, 10(9), 67-80.
- Tan, T. M., Liew, T. W., William, L., Michelle, O. B. F., & Tan, S. M. (2012a). Consumer-based brand equity in the service shop. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 4(4), 60-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ijms.v4n4p60
- Tan, T. M., Hishamuddin I., & Devinaga, R. (2012b). Malaysian fast food brand equity. Germany: Lap Lambert Academic Publishing.
- The Star (2010). Contest to mark Marrybrown’s 30th anniversary. Retrieved from http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?sec=central&file=/2010/12/13/central/7585940
- Tong, X., & Hawley, J. M. (2009). Measuring customer-based brand equity: empirical evidence from the sportswear market in China. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 18(4), 262-271. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/10610420910972783
- Valkenburg, P. M., & Buijzen, M. (2005). Identifying determinants of young children’s brand awareness. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 26(4), 456-468. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2005.04.004
- Wood, L. (2004). Dimensions of brand purchasing behaviour: Consumers in the 18-24 age group. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 4(1), 9-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cb.154
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N., & Lee, S. (2000). An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. Academy of Marketing Science, 28(2), 195-212. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0092070300282002
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1988). Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means-end model and synthesis of evidence. Journal of Marketing, 52(July), 2-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- Zinnbauer, M., & Bakay, Z. (2004). Modelling brand equity in a modern business contex. VIIth World Congress SAM/ IFSAM. Proceedings in the International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management. Retrieved from www.handels.gu.se/ifsam/Streams/etm%20isy/241%20final.pdf